Integrated Strategy

I am not technically a children’s minister. I am what I like to think of as a ministry designer. But my actual title is LifeChurch.tv Central Curriculum Developer. So my thoughts about the first part of Orangeness, Integrated Strategy, will come from that perspective.

First for a confessional. At our church, as recently as a few months ago, check out this list of the lines of curriculum we had in play.
Under the Sea for 2s,
In the Jungle for 3s,
The Ark for 4s,
Crosstown for 5s,
LifeKIDS.tv (Toon Town) for 6 through 4th,
THE LOOP for 5th & 6th grade,
SWITCH for 6th-12th mid-week,
KONNECT for 6-4th mid-week,
konnect 5 for 5th graders mid-week,
and of course whatever series our senior pastor preached to adults with LifeGroup study guides to go with each week.

WHEW! Ten different whole curriculum areas with their own scope and sequence, their own terminology, not to mention smaller programs like parenting messages on diaper bag tags, baptism events, child dedications, and newborn packs. All of it was great individually, but where was it all going?

I mean, as a mom of a 4yo, a 3rd grader, and a 7th grader (and now two foster kids) I didn't really even have a fighting chance of "partnering" with our church. I honestly can barely remember to sign and return their Thursday folders from school, so with that much going on at church too, I couldn't keep up with what my kids were learning about. And I have a distinct advantage over all other parent because I helped develop a lot of the curriculum! Not good.

But for the last year or so, we've made breathtaking strides towards a more integrated strategy. So I'll go over some highlights of the steps we took, and are still taking, and are planning to take to move toward what I believe will end up being a shining example of an "integrated strategy" for our content. 
  • First, while we were going through the final stages of getting our 4 pre-school experience’s curriculum in an “on the shelf” condition, I was able to sit down with our writer who developed it and narrow down a few of the units that were in it. This resulted in our 2s and 3s having the same curriculum, just themed to match each environment. We also did a better job of aligning our Easter and Christmas series in all four.
  • In the middle of those conversations, I began to force myself to consider ways that those four could someday come back off the shelf and go through some kind of 2-year loop. The hardest thing to come to terms with though, is that to be really effective, what if our elementary curriculum followed the same loop? Oh my. Four years of KONNECT curriculum was already “on the shelf” and the whole wild and free LifeKIDS.tv series production process would have to be saddle-broken with some structure and scriptural grounding. Believe me, that was (is still) a hard sell.  
  • We also opened cross-departmental conversations dreaming about the possibility of other areas of curriculum being more strategically aligned. Our elementary, 5th and 6th, and mid-week student curriculum, and our big church messages are all series based. Would it be possible for them to line up on occasion so we could blitz families with one big take-home message and influence those conversations at home?
  • Those ideas began to make so much sense, that they top leadership that was a part of them put the conversation on hold until some staffing reorganization could take shape that might enable that kind of system.
  • In June 2009, they basically shuffled the deck of our org chart in those departments and created two new teams. One, a ministry team that could continue to focus on leading and supporting the campuses with things like vision, budget, staffing, policies and procedures, communications, etc. This also included combining our kids and youth leaders under a Next Gen pastor. Then they created the Content Development Team to create curriculum for birth through adults (which I’m on) and put a process/systems type leader over it that could create a process/system to juggle all of that.
  • Since then, we have focused our efforts on a strategy to align our weekend series for elementary and student ministry as often as possible (which is going pretty well actually) and we even have goals of hitting our senior pastor’s series when it’s something planned in advance enough that we can manage it (but that’s a bit like nailing jello to the wall, in a good way of course. J )
  • In August, when our KONNECT ramps back up, we will launch an all-new curriculum that aligns with the weekend. So kids can have the same Bible story, same memory verse, same walk away point, and parents will too. These will basically align in overall topic still with student ministry.
  • So that leads us back to the beginning. Because at some point in this plan, we’ll have to bite the bullet and redesign our preschool curriculum.
I hope we blow our parents away with the simplicity and ease of partnering with us. Actually, I hope it stops feeling like they are partnering with us at all and begins to feel like what we say it is, the church partnering with them. Our Next Gen team not only has opened communication between kids and youth, but they also work right in step with the strategies used to lead their parents with the adult ministry leaders. 
I created the blog actually to invite input into the process as we go. So if speaking into this excites you at all (even if it means telling us we’re morons and should try something different), then I would love you to check back sometime after Orange Week  and leave some comments on the updates I post. (And I promise my normal posts won't be the tome this one became!)

8 comments:

  1. I really like the concept of a fully integrated educational approach for the curriculum. I'd love to see a plane for say 10 year cycle with each group covering the same material in different ways at the same time and identicle material for parents from each phase of the curriculum.

    In other words, assume that a child will be with your curriculum for 10 years and decide how to build the education with a 1 or 2 year repeating cycle of key ideas (core doctrines of the church) and additional material that repeats every 10 years (covering the major points of the Bible over that time really isn't hard)

    This allows a child who is there the entire 10 year cycle to cover the full cycle but a child that is only there for a year or two will get the core docterines.

    If each group is covering the same material and gets the same parent papers then it makes home discussion easier. I have 4 kids age 18mo, 3 (almost 4), 5, and 6. They are in different classes and get different curriculum. We try to talk but it is an agrivating activity since each one has something different to say. If they had learned essentially the same information they would be able to add to each others knowledge and to the conversation. Well maybe not the 18 month old but he would learn by observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. Reading the list of areas you wrote curriculum was exhausting... almost made me have a panic attack for you.

    I like what ya'll are doing, especially becasue what you guys do is made available for others... such a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, your 1-2 year loop thing is what I've been wrestling with. Getting people to have the discussion about what goes in that loop has been the trick. It either turns into a debate about whether it would work, or just becomes more about why it even matters to try to plan that long-term.

    Kenny, it's exactly because we give it away that gives me the panic attacks. I don't want people to download something that will also lead them away from Orangeness or that just isn't great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always good to see other perspectives. I'm with Kenny on the panic attack. I've written plenty of curriculum and I don't envy you at all on that front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds daunting and complicated! I'm with the guys - I don't envy you this process. I'd be tempted to wipe it all clean and start over...

    BTW - I like your name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kendra,

    So the 10 year is out of the question? God has a plan that involves teaching us over thousands of years. I think we can plan ahead. I pray about it and put my sermons down a year out. I don't have detailed notes or anything, but I believe that God has it planned. I've even left blanks on the calendar thinking God would fill it in later. Surprisingly enough those dates have ended up being dates I didn't need a sermon. Some event I didn't know about, a vacation, bad weather ... They line up.

    When people think they can't plan ahead then they are doubting God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wiping the slate clean wasn't an option because our team is too small to handle the workload of simultaneously creating everything at once. Even though I dislike having any of the curriculum "on the shelf" it has enabled us to have the mental margin to think these thoughts. We are about to hire two more curriculum developers/writers to help flesh out the team and are also dedicated to creating systems to involved volunteer contributors.

    Nick, I like your thoughts about planning ahead. I have joked around about how the Holy Spirit that is speaking to the kids team is 3 months ahead of the Holy Spirit that speaks to our senior pastor because we require a few months of production. :) We simply cannot have the luxury of running week-of and keeping our heads above water. God is faithful and He knows what is coming. We are trying to find a balance between spontaneity and sustainability. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I think I can say I have seen these programs work for awile now so, even though I will see you in a couple hours I will post some thoughts here also :).

    We both know that Craig will never give you a 2 month warning for curriculum, much less a 10 year lol but that is a good thing because I think people as a society go through so many different problems that the Holy Spirit should be constantly changing his plans anyhow. I really believe that any kids curriculum that doesn't change with what is fun and interesting will become obsolete and ineffective though so even a 5 year plan seems like a risk. I have seen one church here in the city that refuses to give up on felt boards and puppets because they think its hilarious and the kids just become numb to it.

    Now for Konnect WOW can say I am kinda scared and surprised but also kinda interested to see how this turns out. One thing I kinda liked about our curriculum when I looked around at others is that we kinda had the best of both worlds... bible inspired teaching that helped develop Christ like character and also a "Big Picture" so to speak curriculum in Konnect that gives them a complete view of Gods word and how it works together. So not sure about it to be honest BUT I agree that if it does indeed help to make us more "Orange" and helps really impact their families then its gonna be amazing!

    One last thing no matter what, God is gonna be totally involved in whatever is done and I think as long as you allow him to have the glory and be the one to lead the way then it will be great.

    ReplyDelete

If you have something really negative to say, feel free to email me personally so we can talk about it offline. All constructive comments are welcome, even if they challenge the status quo. Bring it on.